Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The potato week

I love and respect potatoes. Even though this rich of nutritious starchy tuber originally came from the New World, in Ukraine, where I'm from, the potato is the main vegetable on the table. Once I had a book named 1000 and 1 potato recipes, and I tried many of those recipes. Of course, the most popular ways to cook potatoes are baking and making mash potato, and these dishes are popular around all the world. Expecting the potato week, I was excited to learn something new about a really familiar vegetable, and school gave me new information. It's interesting to know, that starchy potatoes like Russet or Purple are good for baking and frying, while waxy Red or Yukon Gold are perfect for boiling and steaming. Yes, I knew that potatoes are different in use, but I never knew why. The high starch content and low sugar make potatoes starchy, and low starch with high moister content define the waxy potato.
In the potato week we had a lot of practice in cooking different potatoes in different way. I was learn recipes of Russet baked potatoes, Twice baked potatoes, Scalloped potatoes, etc.





Also we tried different styles of deep fries and played with plating mash potato. 










No comments:

Post a Comment