Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2016

Basic sauces

What does the sauce mean? Is it the compliment to the dish or a compliment from the Chef, or, maybe, it is just masking an undesirable taste? I heard a statement that a good sauce can make you eat anything, even your plate. Definitely, the plate is not delicious. Even though I love to cook meals at home from scratch, I've never cooked real sauces, so L'Ecole's Chefs opened for me a new page in realizing tastes with learning sauces. I was taught that sauces have their own "genealogy" and five families with the main "mather sauce" in the beginning. The basic white sauce is Bechamel, and sauces like Mornay, Cream, etc are made by adding different ingredients to its milk-roux mix. Espagnole's "children" are Bordelaise, Robert, Duxelle, and many more. Bolognese and Spanish sauces are produced from Tomato. The sauce that is a "mother" of emulsified butter and yolk sauces is Hollandaise. Finally, the basic blond sauce is Veloute, and its delicious "descendants" are Supreme and Allemande, for example. All of those basic sauces and some of the small ones we produced in our school kitchen, and I was excited to try their classic tastes. Everybody is different, so we like some tastes more than others, and I found that my favorite sauce from those we cooked is Hungarian. This is a small Supreme Sauce from the Veloute family. Also, I was happy to learn how to make emulsified sauces even though my arm is not strong enough to produce it easily. One of my "beaten" sauces was Herb Mayonnaise:

No comments:

Post a Comment