Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2016

My Manhattan Clam Chowder

I already wrote about Manhattan Clam Chowder which we cooked in L'Ecole lab. It said a lot about the real flavor of this soup and different ways to cook it, and I just for interest looked up online varieties of Manhattan style of Clam Chowder. I've learned some interesting facts about this soup.   For example, the Americans have been loving and eating it for more than 100 years; this soup was developed in Delmonico's restaurant, New York, in 1880th or 1890th (this question and about inventor as well, my online research wasn't unique) Also, I found a lot of different recipes where some of the ingredients were the same and some were different. Therefore, I highlighted some ingredients and cooked my own Manhattan Clam Chowder. It was successful, and I had couple feedbacks from the Americans who weren't fans of this soup but ate mine with appetite; so, I'm going to share with you my recipe, and, maybe, you will like it, too.

First of all we need to complete our miss in place and prepare
3 cups of water
 5 oz of diced (or chopped) bacon,
12 oz of small diced mirepoix (6 oz of onion + 3 oz of carrot + 3 oz of celery)
8 oz of medium diced potatoes
3 oz of small diced bell pepper
1 can (14.5 oz) of diced tomatoes
13 oz of canned clams, minced with juice
14 oz of squid rings (defrost and dice just before use)(It is not a main ingredient of Manhattan Clam Chowder, so you can dismiss this item at all or change it for shrimps as many of online recipes recommend)
2 tbsp of worcestershire sauce
dry thyme, bay leaf, salt, ground black peppercorns, cayenne pepper I use to taste and adjust many times during the cooking process (especially salt and pepper)

For beginning, I put my bacon in the pot and let it release its fat, then I add a couple of bay leaves, a generous pinch of thyme and peppers and leave my dry seasonings in heat up to 20 seconds to open their flavor.  Then I add mirepoix and slightly caramelize it.

Bell pepper I add to mirepoix when it is almost ready because I want my pepper only soft. All this process takes about 7-8 minutes. Next, I add water, bring it to a boil, reduce to simmer and leave for a couple minutes.

Add potatoes and clams with juice and simmer 5 minutes more.

When my vegetables are soft and almost ready, I add worcestershire sauce and tomatoes. These acids keep my vegetables firm and prevent them from breaking and making a mess. On the other hand, adding acids at the end of cooking significantly reduce the time of cooking potatoes and everything else in my soup. In a couple minutes after that I add my diced squids.

Only 60 seconds are need to cook squid completely, so you want to add it to soup if you serve this immediately; reheating will make it robbery. My recipe good for 6 servings, so if you need less, just divide it.

Garnish soup with chopped parsley and Bon Appetite!



No comments:

Post a Comment